Vertebral subluxation is a major source of neurological dysfunction that interferes with the health, function, and life of the individual at the level of the spinal column. Mechanically, it means a loss of normal alignment in the spine leading to abnormal (biomechanical) structure and (neurological) function. Optimum function cannot happen through a spine and nervous system that are not functionally intact.
“An intact nervous system will lead to optimum function of the human body.” Dorland’s Medical Text
Simply put, whenever the spine loses its normal alignment and it’s ability to function normally, vertebral subluxation and dysfunction are the result.
Your body is a self-healing and self-regulating organism. Disturbance, impingement, or interference with the function of the nervous system is dangerous because all function in the body is controlled and coordinated through the nervous system. If you disturb nerve function, you necessarily disturb the ability of the body to heal and regulate.
The ability to heal and regulate is what maintains the body in active organization. Lose that and the ability to adapt and to survive through the mechanism of homeostasis is impaired. Any body system can be affected. Virtually any symptom can be the result. Unfortunately, symptoms are often the last piece of the puzzle to show up, allowing destructive and dysfunctional processes to do their work unseen.
Subluxation is caused by stress. Stresses can be categorized as physical, emotional, or chemical. One of the earliest common stresses that leads to subluxation is the birth process.
In an article published in the German medical journal, Manuelle Medizine,Dr. Gotfried Gutmann, a leading researcher in the field of manipulation medicine, reported on the examination and care of more than 1,000 infants and small children which revealed 80% had suffered trauma to their cervical spines resulting in vertebral subluxation and:
• Blocked nerve impulses in the cervical region
can cause many clinical features from central
motor impairment to lowered resistance to
infections, especially in the ear, nose, and throat.
• Chiropractic examinations are of a “decisive
importance” for diagnosis of this condition.
• Chiropractic can often bring about successful
results because it aims at the cause of the
Your OB is not trained to check for subluxation, and neither is your pediatrician. It’s not their fault. They also aren’t trained to check for cavities. That’s why we have dentists. Only chiropractors are trained and qualified to check for and correct vertebral subluxation. The sole purpose of the specific chiropractic adjustment is to correct vertebral subluxation.
Because subluxation rarely hurts, it is impossible to know by how you feel if you are subluxated. Subluxation is not unique in this respect. Heart disease, cancer, and diabetes are all famous for not having early symptoms. Part of the reason subluxation can remain hidden is that only 10% of nerve fibers relate to pain. The other 90% do something else, like breathing, digesting, muscle control, etc. In fact, there are no pain receptors in the brain itself! For this reason, even chiropractors must be checked by another chiropractor. I get checked on a weekly basis, regardless of how I feel, and so does everyone in my family. The same holds true for all the chiropractors I know.
People of all ages can become subluxated, and they can all benefit from having the subluxation corrected. This is why I recommend that everyone get checked on a regular basis from cradle to grave. Now is always the right time to enjoy life!